Friday, May 7, 2010

Easy Rain Barrel



I made a rain barrel a few years ago but broke the bottom when I was trying to get it ready for winter storage. So I made another that was even easier. I got two plastic garbage cans with lids. I cut a hole in the top of one to snugly fit a PVC plumbing item that looks kind of like an ice cream cone but open on top and bottom. I used a clamp for a dryer vent to affix some window screen to the large end of the PVC. This is where the water enters and the screen prevents debris like leaves and such to get into the barrel and it prevents mosquitoes from using your barrel as a nursery for 10,000,000 bouncing blood thirsty baby mosquitoes. I made a hole towards the top of the side of the first barrel and a corresponding hole slightly lower on the side of the second barrel. I inserted metal pipe fittings into each of these holes and then connected the two cans with flexible hose that fit these fittings. The last thing is to add a faucet to the top of one of the cans to allow the overflow to escape when your cans get too full. I attached an old garden hose and leave the faucet open full blast with the end of the garden hose emptying into our garden, away from the house. Change your downspout so it empties into the top of the first rain barrel and have the other barrel nearby to fill up when there is too much rain for one to hold. If you get freezing winters you will need to empty the barrels and put your old downspout back until spring. Whenever I need water I remove the lid of either barrel and dip in my watering can. Works great and holds plenty of water. This saves on your water bill and allows you to use natural rainwater on your plants instead of municipal water treated with chlorine. It also lessens the amount of water that storm sewers have to deal with. Less than a quarter inch of rain over my small house will fill and entire rain barrel and that is only using one of my downspouts! Let it rain!!

No comments:

Post a Comment