Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Spicy Post

Usually health food stores are expensive but there is one section that will save you lots of money if you cook or bake - buying your spices from the bulk food section. You can buy as little or as much as you want. Aim for an amount that will last you the 6 months that is recommended for maximum spice freshness. So whenever I run out of fennel I buy a little and if I run out of cumin or oregano I buy a LOT because I seldom use fennel but I use cumin by the truckload when cooking. If you compare their prices per oz to what they charge for jarred spices in the grocery store you will be floored by the savings. I also use quite a bit of yeast between homemade bread, cinnamon rolls and pizza dough. I can buy enough for a jar full for my fridge there for only a couple dollars from the bulk section of the health food store compared to the $8-$9 for the jar at the store or even worse value the $2-$3 for the little 3 pack. The spices seem much fresher at the health food store than from the jars at the grocery. So keep your old jars, rinse them out and refill with fresher and much cheaper spices from the health food store bulk item section. This not only saves you money but you are reusing your jars instead of buying new ones and it is cheaper to transport the spices alone than to transport the spices in all those jars thus you are also helping the environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment